Friday, February 7, 2020

Happy National Embroidery Month!

Designs by Jenny Haskins on a silk quilt block

February is National Embroidery Month.  As many of you know, I try to do most of my work with a machine.  This is due to an injury to my right hand which limits the strength I need to complete many hand sewn techniques.  That being said, I have found great delight in using my embroidery machine to enhance many of my sewn and quilted items.  

Design by Bonnie McCaffery enhanced with fabric paints on a t-shirt

As a quilter, I never thought that I would need an embroidery machine.  But now having owned one for that past 15 years, and I have a different view on the matter.  So much so that I now own digitizing software and love creating my own designs!

My Papa Bear Applique Design

My Goldilocks and the Three Bears Machine Embroidery Designs, available for purchase soon!

Using an embroidery machine has enabled me to create a handmade look in less time. So I can create more!


My original peacock embroidery design, back of jacket.

The front of my peacock jacket with my original peacock feather design.

 I created this scarf as a "practice" piece for my jacket.  

Testing my original design and created this scarf.

I entered it in the Bernina/Threads Magazine Machine Embroidery Challenge and it was one of the 5 semi-finalist!
Read about how I entered it here. (there is a link to the Threads Magazine Blog that talks more of the process)


So do you embroider?  Which do you prefer, hand or machine?

I would love some feedback, 

No comments:

Post a Comment