Friday, November 22, 2019

Testing a Quilt Pattern


Recently a call went out to find pattern testers for a new pattern designed by Gosia Pawlowska of Quilts My Way.  I had just finished the final class of the Paper Snowflakes BOM, and I was looking for a quick project to inspire and motivate me to plan for my 2020 classes.


This pattern really caught my eye and looked like a fun project. I submitted my application and was excited to be approved. Gosia had included a coloring page to help us choose where to put the fabrics. This allowed us to preview what the quilt will look like, and decide if the colors chosen will work together.

Next, I assessed my stash and pulled what I thought would be fun fabrics to work with.  I created a list of needed fabric pieces. Then I was off to shop for the missing pieces!  

The pattern came as a PDF file and some of the larger pieces needed to be joined together.


A light box really helped with this process.

After all the pieces were done, I have to admit I was a bit intimidated.  I may have even wondered what I had gotten myself into!


I used a second copy of the coloring page and a highlighter to mark the sections off as I created them.  It was just like putting together a puzzle, but keeping things organized was the key. The quilt started coming together, and I was able to enjoy the process.


I was so excited to see the pieces come together, but as a tester, I needed to be objective in offering feedback that could help the designer create a great pattern.


On the next post I will share some more of this process!

Off to finish my project,





No comments:

Post a Comment