Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Classic Reads for the Quilter

Today's prompt is 5 Favorite BooksI am in love with books.  They are my favorite resource in my sewing studio.  And choosing only five, would be like confessing which of my sons I love more--it can't be done. 

Since I have been quilting for a while I thought that I would share some older resources that I believe deserve a second look. These would be resources that I would recommend to a new quilter.



My first recommendation is anything by Eleanor Burns.  I learned a great deal about strip piecing and stitching in the ditch from her and her PBS Show.



Next this book, the Quilter's Complete Guide by Marianne Fons and Liz Porter was an all encompassing manual of different types of quilting techniques, both hand and machine. Their PBS show was also inspirational and educational.



Next as a great technique/project book is Quilts!, Quilt!!, Quilts!!!, by Diana McClun and Laura Nownes.  I took a sampler class in which this was the textbook. By creating one of each block, I gained  the skills and confidence to explore other quilting techniques.



For foundation paper piecing anything by Carol Doak.  She explained everything so clearly and helped me fall in love with the accuracy and the fun of creating quilts with this technique.



There is a tie for 5th, but they cover the same topic.  Machine quilting your quilts on a domestic sewing machineHarriet Hargrave and Diane Gaudynski opened the door for me to get my quilts done quickly and taught me techniques that I still use today.

While there are many others that have influenced my quilting, like Alex Anderson, Ricky Tims, Libby Lehman, Nancy Zieman, and many more.  I tried to narrow down my choices to the books that I still will refer to today.

What books are your "go to" resources in your quilting studio?  Many new quilters use google and YouTube.  But a book is there when the internet is out!

Off to dust my treasures of knowledge,

No comments:

Post a Comment