Monday, December 23, 2019

Should Quilt Fabric Be Prewashed?

Today's prompt for the 31 Day Blog Post Challenge hosted by Cheryl Sleboda of Muppin.com asks the question, Do you prewash your fabrics?

Tints of the Past by Linda Bratten

When I first started quilting, it was never a question.  Only the brave never prewashed.  It was a time when not all dyes were colorfast.  Given the amount of time I have been quilting, technology has improved the colorfastness of many dyes.  This means that you may not need to prewash your fabrics.

Terrific Triangles by Linda Bratten

I am still in the habit of prewashing my fabrics.  I guess that means that I am not terribly brave or I don't like surprises after I have worked so hard on a quilt.  I don't judge the quilters who don't prewash.  I do recommend testing the fabric for colorfastness if you are not prewashing.
Basic Skill Builder Blocks by Linda Bratten

Testing for Colorfastness

To do this, take a white piece of fabric and dampen it.  Rub it on the fabric you want to test, then examine the area.  Did color come off on the white fabric?  Did it create a halo of colors around the fabric you are testing?  If so I would recommend prewashing. 

Some quilters will even cut a piece of the fabric off and place it in a white bowl with water and check the color of the water after it has set a while to look for dye particles that are free.

My Fantasy Garden 2 enhanced with textile paint

When You Should Prewash Your Fabric

There are a few time when I believe that you should prewash your fabric. This may be done by hand or in the washing machine. Choose the technique that the fabric can endure, and that is the same way the quilt will be laundered in the future.

Here are my recommendations:

1. If the quilt is for a young child that may put the quilt in his/her mouth.  Many fabrics have sizing and even insect repellants on them.  It would be important to remove those with a prewash.

2. If the quilt is going to someone who is chemical sensitive.  See reason #1.

3. If you are using hand dyed fabrics made from a non-commercial producer or from an unknown fabric producer .  Some may or may not wash the fabrics when they are done with the dyeing process. I highly recommend this if the fabric has red dye in it.

4. Any fabric that you have purchased second hand from a thrift store, garage sale, etc.  You never know how it was stored, and it may contain insect eggs that you do not want to introduce to your stash.  This is just a recommendation and not intended to offend a fellow quilter.

5. Any fabric that I have used a mixed media technique on that may be washed in the future.  I want to be sure it is colorfast before I sell or give the item away.

6. If the quilt is going to be used and laundered frequently.  This will insure that the fabric is pre-shrunk and color safe. Those much loved quilts can really take a beating.

My Fabulous Feathers enhanced with Inktense Pencils

I am curious as to what you prefer to do?  Let me know in the comments below!

Also don't forget to check out what the other participants are blogging about today.  Click here to find out!

Off to prewash some new found treasures, 

No comments:

Post a Comment