Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Most Impactful Class


The most impactful class that I have ever taken was a beginning machine piecing class. As a new quilter I was excited to be able to learn a variety of piecing techniques.  To the teacher’s credit she did a great job explaining each lesson,

In my new quilter enthusiasm, I brought a quilt that I had made.  It was a quilt that was made of the courthouse steps blocks and was made out of winter colors.  On the back of the quilt I had used  a super soft piece of white fake fur.  I thought it carried off the winter theme and I was excited to show it.

I will never forget the teacher’s words, “this isn’t a quilt.”  I was confused, but according to her definition, the fake fur threw it out of the quilting category.  I was crushed, and while I attended all the remaining sessions, it took a while before I completed my others blocks.  I didn’t want share anything else I created.



It taught me a valuable lesson on how I could encourage creativity or squash it in its infancy as a sewing and quilting instructor.  I think about this experience often.


No comments:

Post a Comment