Thursday, December 5, 2019

My First Quilt

As a new parent and home economics teacher, I love watching PBS on Saturday mornings.  This featured the Sewing with Nancy and a new program, Quilt in a Day. After watching a few episodes of Quilt in a Day, I believed that I could actually do this!

Talking with Eleanor Burns, photo by Katie Johansen

I went out and bought my first rotary cutter, ruler and mat, and some fabrics.  

My Mother’s Sewing Machine

I then borrowed my Mother’s sewing machine.  Then I created this wall hanging.  

My first quilt
In case you were wondering, I didn’t bind it.  However I did machine quilt it using a standard presser foot—thus the quilted puckering.

It didn’t matter, I then in love with the process.  I quickly made one for my sister in blues and mauve.  And then I made one in black, mint and coral for my soon to be sisters-in-law.  Each time I created one I fell more in love with the process.  Can anyone relate?

Who would have thought one PBS show and one simple wall hanging would lead me to the life I am living today.

No comments:

Post a Comment