Friday, December 6, 2019

UFO’s—-Unfinished Objects in My Quilting Studio

My Dancing with the Dresden Plate BOM samples photo by Glenda Moum

While the acronym UFO sounds mysterious, it is no mystery as to why I have an abundance of them! In the sewing and quilting world, UFO’S stands for Un-Finished Objects.


As a quilting teacher I like to have step outs or samples of the quilt I am teaching in various stages.  So while I may have a class sample, there is a good possibility that there are 2-3 quilts in various stages of the process waiting to be finished after I teach a class.


While my Dancing with the Dresden Plate Block of the Month quilt may not officially be my oldest UFO, it is the one quilt that has been done multiple times and can be found in a variety of color ways and in multiple stages of completeness in my sewing studio.






I believe that I have constructed enough blocks to complete four quilts, with the fabric collected to complete a fifth.  The plan is to create it as an online class, thus the fifth quilt.  Of course this is waiting until I find the time to tape and edit the videos.


And if I must confess, this is not the only class in which I have multiple UFO’S.  I have been a Sewing and Quilting Instructor since 2008, and that has been ample time to create multiple quilt samples in various stages of doneness.  Perhaps in my retirement I will finish them all and give them to deserving family and friends.



As I continue to teach and create new content I am collecting more samples/UFO’s.  Thus I am forced to create new ways to store the UFO’s so I will be able to pull out my class in a moments notice.  Perhaps someday I will come up with a better system, but I have enjoyed the process, and I have some great starts on some beautiful quilts. I also love to share my quilting and sewing knowledge with others so I don’t see an end near.


Pondering my UFO future,




No comments:

Post a Comment