Monday, December 30, 2019

What is Thread Sketchinq?

F
Thread sketched female cardinal from my quilt, "Cardinal Fan"

One of my favorite techniques to encourage quilters to try is thread sketching.  While it may seem like a difficult technique, it is easy to learn using my training wheels to help you get started.

Thread sketched bib made for my granddaughter, Brinley.

Thread sketching is very similar to thread painting.  In fact the same techniques are used in both.

Thread sketching commercial fabric by Linda Bratten

While many use the terms interchangeable, thread sketching uses free motion quilting to enhance motifs on the quilt.  

Thread Painted Tree pattern from a book by Sulky

While thread painting is creating elements for a project purely out of thread.  

Thread Painted Swallowtail Butterfly, original design


While I enjoy both techniques, thread sketching is very similar to coloring with your sewing machine. It doesn't take as much thread or time as thread painting does.

Thread sketched and photo transferred quilt, Water Color Rose by Linda Bratten

Are you interested in finding out how I like to teach thread sketching?  Check out my video below!




I recommend practicing your thread sketching/painting by coloring fabric elements.  This way you can practice with out investing the creating time!

Thread sketching commercial fabrics using metallic threads by Linda Bratten

Thread sketching commercial fabric by Linda Bratten


If this is something you would like to try, be sure to check out my available thread sketching/painting patterns available in my online store. Click here to start shopping.


Daisy Delights available at www.LindaBrattenCreations.com
A block from the pattern, Falling in Love with Thread Sketching and Painting, available at www.LindaBrattenCreations.com

I am currently working on an online class to teach others how to thread sketch my pattern, Bronze Iris to create this fun wall hanging.

Bronze Iris by Linda Bratten

Close up of thread sketching of Bronze Iris by Linda Bratten


If you are interested in this opportunity, be sure to subscribe to my blog, Linda B Creative, where I will let you know when it is up and running.


 Planning my next post, 


No comments:

Post a Comment